Uber is excited to announce the launch of Uber Connect, a feature a cost-effective, on-demand delivery solution for family and friends.
While restrictions continue to ease in level 2 of the nationwide lockdown, social distancing is still imperative – Uber Connect aims to keep users connected by allowing users to send packages to family friends through the app while encouraging social distancing.
Frans Hiemstra, General Manager for Sub-Saharan Africa, says, “We have been working tirelessly to find innovative ways to leverage our technology to make it easier than ever to send packages or items while unlocking additional earning opportunities for drivers on our platform.”
Whether it is siblings returning forgotten clothing items to each other or a mother sending nappies to a friend who has run out, users can simply send it by requesting “Uber Connect” through the Uber app. “We’re excited to see the creative ways that users will continue to do their part by staying home, but using technology to stay connected,” explains Hiemstra.
How it works:
1. Select Connect in the Uber app, agree to the terms and conditions, confirm that your package does not contain prohibited items, and request a delivery
2. Reply to the message you’ll receive in the Uber app asking for the recipient’s name and any special delivery instructions for your delivery partner.
3. Meet the delivery partner outside and load your package into their motorbike topbox*
4. Share the trip with your recipient so they can track the trip and meet the delivery partner outside to retrieve the package from the delivery partner.
5. This service is limited to areas where Uber Eats operates
Safety remains a top priority and Uber Connect follows all relevant hygiene and safety protocols. These include the requirement of masks for all drivers, as well as the completion of a safety checklist which reminds drivers to wash their hands and santise their relevant delivery bags. Senders and recipients will also need to follow a checklist to ensure social distancing measures are followed.