The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has authorised the marketing of IQOS, Philip Morris International’s (PMI) electrically heated tobacco system, as a modified risk tobacco product (MRTP). Please find below the full announcement.
IQOS heats tobacco instead of burning it, reducing the chemicals exposed to your body by up to 95% compared to cigarettes. IQOS presents the opportunity to approximately 11million smokers in South Africa, who would otherwise continue smoking, with a less harmful alternative to smoking.
– The decision demonstrates that IQOS is a fundamentally different tobacco product and a better choice for adults who would otherwise continue smoking
– IQOS is the first and only electronic nicotine product to be granted marketing orders through the FDA’s MRTP process
– The FDA authorized the marketing of IQOS with the following information:
– The IQOS System heats tobacco but does not burn it
– This significantly reduces the production of harmful and potentially harmful chemicals
– Scientific studies have shown that switching completely from conventional cigarettes to the IQOS system reduces your body’s exposure to harmful or potentially harmful chemicals.
– The agency concluded that the available scientific evidence demonstrates that IQOS is expected to benefit the health of the population as a whole, taking into account both users of tobacco products and persons who do not currently use tobacco products