What makes an exceptional truck driver? Is it time-keeping and being reliable? Good behaviour? Going beyond the call of duty? Excellent people skills? Outstanding driving skills? An impeccable safety record? From the variety of entries being submitted for the 2022 #ThankYouTrucker competition, it is evident that it is all of this – and more!
Launched in June, the #ThankYouTrucker competition aims to recognise and celebrate truck drivers across the country. The competition is a partnership between IVECO SA and the Road Freight Association (RFA).
The winner will receive R50 000. The driver in second place will win R10 000, with the third placed driver receiving R5 000.
Entries for this year’s competition are pouring in – with fascinating, inspiring stories being shared.
Here are some of the reasons truck drivers are being nominated:
– He has been with us since the inception of the business, which is now 15 years old. He lives and breathes trucking. The love for trucking and being on the open road pumps through his veins!
Never have we met an individual who would rather be on the road, than at home with his family. He is a specialist in his field!
– When he leaves South Africa, he has a truck load of food for the border runners and children along the way and always shares this. He always has friendly words of encouragement for others and a smile on his face.
– He is passionate about his occupation and we are very proud he is ours!
– He is always on the job and always treats our customers with respect. A week ago, a lady had an accident on the N2 and he was the first person on the scene. He helped her out of her vehicle and warned oncoming traffic.
A few years ago, he also helped a family who had an accident while he was on his way to make a delivery. His vehicle is always neat and he looks after his truck as if it is his own.
– He is the best and youngest driver in the firm. He’s 24 years old this year, but the maturity in his driving is exceptional. As a long distance and short distance driver, he always finishes even the hardest loads. The future is really bright for him!
He’s constantly upgrading his skills and qualifications. He once said he’s going to be the first person to obtain a degree while driving trucks full time! “Being a top truck driver is no easy feat,” explains Martin Liebenberg, Managing Director of IVECO SA.
“It requires dedication, hard work, patience, excellent technical and soft skills, ongoing training and development, a lot of sacrifices – and more! The #ThankYouTrucker competition aims to inspire our truck drivers to keep on doing their best – particularly in these challenging times.”
How to enter
Fleet owners and managers can nominate any number of drivers they believe meet the criteria for being a top trucker.
Entries close on 3 September 2022. To enter, go to www.thankyoutrucker.co.za.