Checkers Hyper revealed its state-of-the-art flagship store in Sandton City, complete with chocolatier bar, an open-flame pizza oven, an in-store Kauai and an extensive range of innovative new products.
Customers can look forward to a world-class shopping environment with unique experiences never before offered in a South African supermarket, such as:
● Famous Wild Pacific salmon caviar served at the sushi bar;
● Delicious hand-stretched and stone-baked pizzas straight from the wood-fired pizza oven;
● A decadent chocolatier bar with artisanally crafted truffles made from Belgian chocolate combined with the very best South African ingredients;
● An in-store Kauai with its famous salads, wraps, and smoothies;
● A selection of meats and veggies expertly prepared on the imported rodizio grill;
● Freshly-made artisanal breads and delicious pastries from SCHOON, as well as a sophisticated new range of confectioneries and luxury cakes;
● A temperature-controlled tasting room with wines from over 100 leading estates, more international wines than any other supermarket as well as authentic French champagne and the widest range of Italian prosecco.
The various in-store service departments (such as the Butchery, Bakery, Cheese Deli and Fresh Fruit & Vegetables) are dedicated destination areas – designed to look and feel like a store within a store – offering customers an artisanal market experience within a supermarket environment.
Customers can also expect wider aisles and shelves designed with the shopper in mind, whilst the seamless floors mean trolleys make less noise when pushed through the store.
Checkers Hyper Sandton City will offer customers a 100% recyclable and compostable paper bag, which will be the supermarket chain’s first product carrying the new standardised recycling instructions, known as On Pack Recycling Labels (OPRLs), as per the guidelines recently published by the WWF-SA.
Almost 60 new jobs were created with this opening, bringing Checkers Hyper Sandton City’s full staff complement to 290, of which 225 are women. The store will be managed by seasoned Branch Manager, Selva Pillay, who joined the Shoprite Group in 1991 and has more than 28 years experience in retail.
Checkers Hyper Sandton City’s trading hours are 09:00 – 20:00 from Mondays to Saturdays and 09:00 – 18:00 on Sundays.